Earth Day is this Friday, April 22nd. There are many ways you can help raise awareness and appreciation for the Earth’s environment. “Going green” may be daunting to many, but here are some easy ways that you can make a difference:
- First the obvious ones: RECYCLE AND USE CLOTH DIAPERS. Duh!
- Fix leaky faucets.
- Bring your own travel cup to your favorite coffee place instead of using one of their disposable cups.
- BYOB- Bring your own bags to the store! Many retailers will reward you with a small discount for doing so, too.
- Support your local farmers. Most grocery store produce travels nearly 1,500 miles before it ends in your kitchen. All of the traveling burns fossil fuels and results in carbon emissions (pollution). Buying local means saving energy and fresher food! Check out Fresh Connect KC.
- Wait to do laundry and dishes until you have a full load and wash your clothes in cold water instead of hot.
- Look for appliances with the Energy Star label. they appliances use 35% less energy than a standard appliance. You may also be eligible for a tax credit too!
- Install CFL lightbulbs and get rid of your incandescents. Using a compact fluorescent bulb (CFL) is the quickest, easiest way to save energy (and money). They use 75% less electricity and last 10 times longer!
Now here are some fun activities and freebies to get you in the mood to go green!
On Earth Day, 4/22/2011:
- Learn how to make a rain garden, a butterfly garden, or a rain barrel! Click here for more info (registration required). All activities are from 12:00pm to 1:00pm.
- FREE admission to Powell Gardens! Click here for more info.
- Stop by a participating Starbucks for a FREE cup of coffee or tea when you bring in a reusable mug. The freebie will be limited to hot coffee, hot tea, iced coffee or iced tea.
- Visit Origins on the Country Club Plaza to receive a FREE full-size facial cleanser when you bring in an empty bottle of any skincare item (any brand). Click here for more info. While supplies last!
- Stop by the Disney Store at Oak Park Mall to trade in 5 plastic shopping bags for a FREE reusable one! Only one per person and while supplies last!
On Saturday, 4/23/2011:
- Visit your local Lowe’s store to receive a FREE tree! No purchase necessary and while supplies last! Get there early to get yours!
- Set a world record and raise awareness! Be a part of The Great Cloth Diaper Change at Happybottomus! Click here for more info.
- Stop by Children’s Orchard for fun Earth Day activities, coloring contests, and FREE seed packets!
If you know of another event, let us know! Happy Earth Day!